Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Day One

What if we lived in an era where there were daily or weekly basic teaching sessions for entry-level learning of various skills and trades (complete with tools to use for learning) provided in public areas like parks, recreation areas, etc.? What if those teaching sessions were 100% free?

This is my first day, the first day of orientation to my new career. The first bomb has already dropped: toward the end of this day, the first day, I was told I may have to provide a service I was trained only loosely for over a year ago, with a very limited refresher, all-new paperwork, having to perform all the assessments I was never very good at...and I will have to do that tomorrow (or Friday at the latest). And I will have to act like I know what I'm doing, when I know I don't.

Just this morning, I was wondering why I don't feel very interested in bothering with much of anything...everything seems associated with difficulty, inconvenience, and the rewards - such as they are - are either nothing I am interested in, inadequate, or completely non-existent. I have brief periods of enjoyment from time to time, but in the end the good feelings are hollow and temporary, and all I have to look forward to in the future is growing more disabled and functionally limited, watching loved ones fade away and disappear entirely, and then eventually going away myself...going away to some unknown.

What is there to like about this world, again? Politics, just a bunch of posturing double-speak from people who don't care about what happens to those whose best interests they always claim to be looking out for? Massive amounts of red tape making even the simplest changes and efforts require incredible volumes of time, money, paper, etc.? The incredible arm of advertisement that covers practically every possibly-important square inch of every stadium and publically-relevant site they can get ahold of? A society encouraged to accept everyone and everything as equal while also being taught to be hypersensitive to the point of absurd paranoia? A self-destructive economy design where massive corporations become the primary controllers of employment and money by being able to afford all the masters-of-numbers and legal-loophole-finders and lobbyists and perpetuating laws and rules that choke out the small fry competition, and which corporations can deliberately contract, shed off large numbers of employees, and simultaneously increase their profit margins by incredible amounts? Oil companies (among the corporations) who make more in one hour (or perhaps one minute) than the average middle-class USA citizen makes in their entire life? And a population that ignores all of these facts while saying "Yeah, I know, what can you do though?" and which is destined to go down in very weak flames after they have successfully been choked from every possible angle by the astonishingly obvious self-interested life-leeches that basically control the way the world works now?

I'm just not sure...doesn't seem like a very good time to be a human being.

No comments:

Post a Comment